As we get into the fall season, it’s time to get your furnace ready for the cold winter months ahead. Martens Plumbing & Heating is here to help—below, you’ll find our fall furnace checklist (which applies to every homeowner, no matter your system’s make and model). As always, if you have HVAC questions in your Mukwonago home or need a new Bryant® installation, call us today at 262-363-7146.
Complete This Fall Furnace Checklist Before Winter
- Look for leaks or holes in your ductwork and seal them appropriately if needed.
- Check the condition of your air filter. Fall is usually the perfect time to replace it—and remember to swap it out every one to three months for best results.
- Move objects at least three feet away from your furnace for better airflow and fire prevention.
- Open your vents to keep your furnace from working too hard. An overworked furnace is a drain on energy bills and a potential fire hazard.
- Dust or vacuum your vents to prevent unnecessary debris from circulating in your home.
- Switch your ceiling fan blades to rotate clockwise—this will blow warm air down, which can actually help improve your furnace’s overall heating efficiency.
- Turn down your thermostat when you’re at work or away from your home. A programmable or Wi-Fi thermostat can even help you schedule these temperature adjustments, saving you time, money, and hassle. (Ask us about upgrading your thermostat today.)
- Finally, turn on your furnace ahead of time to make sure it runs properly. Pay attention to any unusual sounds or smells. If something doesn’t seem right, turn the unit off immediately and call Martens for a proper furnace inspection. We’re available 24/7!
Remember to Schedule Your Annual Furnace Checkup
Routine furnace maintenance is vital to preventing future breakdowns, maintaining optimal efficiency, and extending the life of your unit. To schedule your 21-point inspection, call the experts at Martens Plumbing at 262-363-7146 or send us a message. We move fast to keep you as comfortable as possible.